Daniel C. Swinton, J.D., Ed.D.
Daniel Swinton is the Managing Partner of The NCHERM Group, LLC. Daniel consults frequently with colleges, universities and K-12 on issues of Title IX, the Violence Against Women Act and sexual violence, alcohol and other drugs, behavioral intervention, bystander intervention, student conduct policies and procedures, hearing board training, mediation and legal issues in education. Daniel often serves institutions as an external investigator for issues of sexual misconduct and other complex student conduct matters as well as employment concerns, retaliation and harassment. He also serves as an expert witness in cases of sexual assault, Title IX, negligence, academic integrity and civil rights. He has authored a number of peer-reviewed articles and book chapters on topics ranging from student conduct to civil rights investigations. Daniel is also a frequent presenter and invited speaker at national and regional conferences. Prior to his work with The NCHERM Group, he served as Assistant Dean and Director of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity at Vanderbilt University.
Daniel serves as Vice President of ATIXA (The Association for Title IX Administrators) and on the Advisory Board of NaBITA (National Behavioral Intervention Team Association). He has also served on the Board for the Association for Student Conduct Administration (ASCA), having served as its President in 2011-2012.
Daniel received his Bachelor’s degree from Brigham Young University, his law degree (J.D.) from the J. Reuben Clark Law School at BYU and a doctorate (Ed.D.) in higher education leadership and policy from Vanderbilt University’s Peabody College. He is a member of the Tennessee State Bar.
He has also been interviewed and/or featured by The Chronicle of Higher Education, The New York Times, USA Today, Inside Higher Ed, Student Affairs Today, and the Washington Post, as well as other publications and sources.
Through The NCHERM Group, Daniel provides specialized consulting, seminars and training on:
- Sexual Assault and Harassment (Title IX Training)
- Student Conduct and Hearing Board Training
- Civil Rights Investigations
- Expert Witness Services
- Harassment and Discrimination Policies and Procedures
- Hazing Prevention and Greek Conduct Board Training
- Student Drinking and Drugs Programs
- Student Conduct Code Review
- Academic Integrity
- Behavioral Intervention Teams
- Title IX Compliance for Colleges and Universities (including policy and procedure analysis and development) for:
- Student Affairs
- Human Resources
- Civil Rights Investigations
- Sexual Harassment Workshops
- Sexual Assault & Sexual Misconduct Issues
- Policy Development
- Case Management
- Panel Training
- Conduct/Hearing Board Training
- Competency Based Models
- Questioning techniques
- Procedure & Protocol Development
- Student Conduct Program Development
- Academic Integrity & Honor Code Development & Implementation
- Mediation and Conflict Resolution